Cause-and-Effect Argument Essay! How to Write it Perfectly
When for the first time you’re asked to write a cause-and-effect argument essay, it might be challenging to understand how to go about it. However, it’s worth noting that this is not a simple revision on cause and effect relating to specific factors rather, it goes far deep beyond and that’s why it has been a difficult task for many students to handle.
That said, to write a proper cause and effect essay, one has to examine a particular event or situation in detail and determine a causal relationship between the reasons and actions that led to specific results. Though there exist various types of cause-and-effect essays, the primary rule always stays the same; that one has to show a logical causal connection between point A and point B.
Below is a detailed guideline on how to write a cause-and-effect essay that can earn you decent results.
How to Prepare for Cause and Effect Essays.
As they say “preparation is key to success!”
When given an assignment, we do not start with the writing process rather, we start by preparing or first understanding how to approach the assignment. It’s in this stage where such issues as outlined below arise;
1. Analyze the details provided by your professor /tutor regarding the given academic assignment.
This included coming up with a theme that as a writer you will narrow down into a specific topic. That’s exactly where you got to start! Do some brainstorming, so you’ll get different ideas on how to approach the topic. Then, choose your preferred idea! To make sure there’s enough information to work with, conduct preliminary research. Remember: you’ll need facts and arguments for this essay on cause and effects, so it’s important to have access to authoritative resources that you can reference.
2. Conduct research!
It’s a good idea to start with this process as soon as possible! Keep taking notes, so you’ll know where all those arguments came from.
3. Develop a thesis statement.
This entails a crucial statement that responds to the question, “How exactly did the causes lead to the specific effects?” Further, you should in this statement try to grasp the whole essence of your entire paper. For instance, you may develop the statement around the claim that burnout may lead to depression. Having this foundation in your paper enables you to easily and resourcefully develop it further.
4. Create an outline!
This entails an overview of your paper’s structure. In brief points, you’ll note what you plan to write in each section of the essay. Similarly, to all other types of essays, the cause and effect paper also contains an introduction, body, and conclusion. It’s a basic format that ensures proper logical flow.
At this point, you’re now ready to get your paper written down!
The Main Step: How to Write a Cause/Effect Essay.
Once you’re done carrying out a thorough analysis from authoritative sources and having prepared an outline for your paper, then it will be easier to write the actual paper. During this process, we have highlighted a few tips that can be helpful;
- The introductory paragraph must have a hook so as to grab the attention of your reader. It’s here where you present the general topic without being too vague. This is because your tutor has already read through enough vague papers, hence, the need to get everything right so that you’re able to make them interested in proceeding with the other bits of your paper. You can your introduction with unusual detail, a great quote, or a brief anecdote that relates to the issues you are exploring.
- Usually, a thesis statement has to come at the end of the introductory paragraph.
- Despite the fact that a typical 5-paragraph essay ought to have three arguments in the body section, you need not stick by that rule when writing a cause-effect essay. However, this will much depend on the complexity of the topic as well as the required length although you can scale up. In the event you may feel the need to incorporate more arguments, there is no limit as to why you shouldn’t do so.
- Additionally, each paragraph ought to have a cause and effect that relates to the thesis statement. For instance, cause A led to effect A; cause B led to effect B, and so on. Check out this sample so you can understand;
Cause 1: People’s addiction to vehicles Effect 1: More carbon dioxide in the air Cause 2: Increased human population Effect 2: Deforestation Cause 3: Increased production across all industries Effect 3: More fuel is required to run more factories
- You must be very meticulous and clear throughout the essay. For example, if you raise the claim that; “increased human population leads to deforestation and deforestation leads to increased pollution,” a fact that proves such a point has to be provided.
- Lastly, the concluding paragraph of a cause and effect paper should expound on how you proved the thesis statement throughout the body paragraphs. That is, if you argued that human actions lead to pollution, you should provide an expository explanation that briefly sums up the paragraphs while relating them to the main statement.
- Besides, you may include other predictions or suggestions on the further effects that may result from this cause while giving suggestions on how potential outcomes can be improved.
Never Forget the Post-Writing Stages for Your Essay
No matter how advanced your writing skills are; ensure you always edit the papers you write. Once done writing, all you have is just but a draft hence, to make it a perfect essay, you’ll have to go through a thorough editing process with more commitment and invest your time in revisions.
You’ve really come this far, haven’t you?
What if no matter how hard you try you are unable to complete the cause/effect paper? What if the deadline is too close and you have other similar important commitments to take care of? Being a college student, you must be ingenious and never allow a single assignment to impact negatively your final grade.
Luckily, there is a quick and professional fix for this. In any case, if you get stuck along any of the pre-writing, writing, and post-writing stages, you can hire a professional writer or editor to help you complete the paper! That is where the services by the Internationalwriters Company come in handy. Try us out and professional help any time you may need it.